Charnley & Røstvold has had the pleasure of working with hundreds of investment industry professionals over the past three decades helping them prepare their content and delivery for a variety of scenarios, including:
- Introductory prospect meetings
- Final presentations
- Due diligence meetings with consultants
- Client retention meetings
- Client cross-sell meetings
- Team presentations
- Individual speeches or board presentations
- Client conferences
When coaching investment and distribution professionals alike, those who have advanced the furthest and become stellar communicators share several attributes: ongoing commitment to improvement, receptiveness to constructive coaching, willingness to rehearse, and initiative. The results – a bounty of new clients, accounts and assets won; multi-millions of dollars of accounts and assets retained; increased number of favorable consultant rankings; and higher win ratios. Preparation makes a difference. So does attitude.
People often ask us to suggest books and resources with valuable insights for enhancing content and communication skills. Below are some of our favorites.
- TED Talks: The Official Ted Guide to Public Speaking, by Chris Anderson
- Team of Rivals, by Doris Kearns Goodwin
- Speak Like Churchill, Stand Like Lincoln, by James C. Humes
- Presentation Zen, by Garr Reynolds
- Think on Your Feet, by Keith Spicer, Ph.D.
- It’s All in Your Delivery, by Terri Sjodin
- Gravitas: Communicate with Confidence, Influence and Authority, by Caroline Goyder
- Power Questions, by Andrew Sobel
- Ted Talks (www.ted.com/talks) are a valuable example of brief presentations by strong presenters (in particular, Amy Tan and Susan Cain)
- Steve Jobs, a master!
Articles and Speeches
- “Your Speaking Voice,” by Toastmasters
- “Creating a Voice with an Executive Presence,” by Kate Peters
- “How to Give a Presentation that Wows,” by Bill Blasé
- “Proper Breathing in Public Speaking,” by Katherine Axtell
- “Dialog vs. Divalog: Listening for Greater Impact as a Speaker,” by Kate Peters (www.katepeters.com)
- “Overcoming Speaking Anxiety in Meetings & Presentations,” by Lenny Laskowski
- “The Eloquent Woman,” by Denise Graveline
- “Stop the Run-On Sentence in Public Speaking,” by Nancy Daniels
- “Your Body Language Shapes Who You Are,” by Amy Cuddy
Blogs and Other On-Line Sources
- www.katepeters.com/blog Voice coach and former opera singer, Kate Peters offers weekly tips on her blog
- www.msolemon.wordpress.com (in particular, “I Have a Story”)
Regular Practice Forums
- www.toastmasters.org Toastmasters provides one-hour practice sessions once a week that strengthen your body language, voice modulation and overall presentation delivery skills significantly. The practice sessions also help you pay closer attention to your language choice and raise your comfort level in communicating with people.
- You can evaluate different programs at www.vocabulary-software-review.toptenreviews.com
Do you have favorite resources for insights on enhancing your communication skills to suggest? Please comment below and share this article if you found it helpful. Stay engaged by following us!
Charnley & Røstvold, Inc., a preeminent marketing consulting firm to asset management firms ranging in size from start-up firms to some of the world’s largest investment firms with over $1 trillion under management. Charnley & Røstvold helps clients with competitive positioning, marketing strategies, key messages, presentation refinements, communications and sales training, consultant relations and client service programs.
Christine Røstvold, co-founder of Charnley & Røstvold, Inc., is a popular industry speaker and author. Christine was a founding board member of PAICR (Professional Association for Investment Communications Resources), and served on the Advisory Board for more than a decade.